Sunday, March 11, 2012

On Humility

I have been so convicted of my lack of humility. Not of blatant excessive pride - no. That issue would be much easier and simpler to address.

Concerning humility towards others...

In my entire life, I'm not sure that I have maintained a humble attitude toward others. I have been impressed, even awed by others' actions, and I have certainly acknowledged the intellectual or musical talents of some as superior to my own.

But this is not humility, it is honesty. Humility is not the degrading of yourself in comparison to others. Humility is finding value in the actions of others and encouraging them in their good works. Humility has never been choosing to outwardly deny your inner pride. Humility is recognizing and embracing that everything you have to offer is not of your own accord. Humility is not denying your own wishes or ambitions. Humility is the submission of your desires to your identity in Christ!

To my disappointment, I cannot think of a single person that I have approached or addressed with genuine humility. Starting today, I aim to listen and move with the Holy Spirit in changing that direction in my life. Friend, if you would join with me in prayer for that, it would be a great encouragement!

Concerning humility toward God...

By God's grace, I believe that I have approached God with sincere humility and reverence. There are certainly times in which I fail to maintain the humility. It is in these times that I certainly need to remember who I am, who God is, and what God is doing to make me who I am becoming.

God was incarnate in a human body, and he was made a humble servant. The Word of God made his dwelling among us. He suffered and died the humiliating death of a common criminal. Jesus was perfectly humble, recognizing that everything he said or did was from the Father to bring glory to the Father. Jesus humbled himself.

So, in humbling himself to that level, the Son of God became like us. Coming to the revelation that God so humbled himself out of love must still remain in the context of who God is. God humbled himself, but that does not make us closer to who he is. As John writes in the conclusion of I John, Jesus is "true God and eternal life," and we cannot suppose to attain that on our own. We have the hope of being transformed into his likeness at his return, but that comes with dying unto ourselves. That comes with humility, and it is critical that we maintain a humble attitude first toward God, and then to our neighbors. Only with this attitude can we truly love and serve as we are called!

Brothers and sisters, if you are willing to truly embrace humility and all of its implications, do so with a thankful, joyful heart and a hope rooted in the Lord's strength. 


1 comment:

  1. This is so good! I am so glad the Lord is helping you to see these things. He is so wonderful and so gentle at helping us to understand more and more of Who He is and who He wants to make us into.

    ReplyDelete